Saturday, February 13, 2010

What's your flavor? Part II

I love good inspiration, and I'm a sucker for good quotes. But I also really appreciate bitter and sarcastic humor, and so this site is fantastic for a laugh. While I wouldn't call it overly clever, the humor is definitely outright, its still pretty funny.

I've found that the worst pitfalls come when you take yourself too seriously. There's just no need for it, and everyone else around probably thinks you're a stuck-up idiot. Which, to be honest, you probably are. I've heard sarcasm called the "tool of the weak," but I'd like to make a case for it, and instead call it the tool of the non-serious potentially intelligent being. If you're being sarcastic you're poking fun at a situation and thus are most definitely not being serious. Since you've taken the time to come up with a sarcastic comment, one that not everyone will necessarily pick up on, you've put some thought into the situation and can therefore be classified as potentially intelligent. Ergo, I would like to designate myself as a "non-serious potentially intelligent" being.

Sarcasm shouldn't be written off. You can get away with making fun of things that other people might not pick up on, I recently finished reading the classic novel "Catch-22" which highlights the craziness of the world through the frame of World War II, a pretty important event that I think most people would probably call fairly serious. But I would opine that the point Heller is making is that you can't take anything too seriously, every event, not matter how large or how small, is at least somewhat ludicrous.

Catch-22 is awesome because it teaches without being preachy. It's clever humor-my favorite type. You have to both pay attention and understand that you have no idea what's going on in order to fully appreciate the book. I read it right before snowmaggedon hit the DC area, and it kind of fit with the situation. People who took life and their jobs so seriously weren't able to work for a week. They were forced to do all sorts of terrible things like embrace week-day bar specials not because work had got them down, but because they had nothing better to do. A city usually engulfed in go-go-goers was suddenly filled with people starting huge snowball fights and sledding in the streets. Of course, I'm sure there were those dedicated workers being productive, but sometimes, you just have to embrace chaos.

So the wisdom I will impart upon you this Valentine's Day-another crazy holiday-keep your head in the game, but in reality, you've only got so much control. And when all else fails, make fun of yourself. The smart people will get it.

Holla,
Thing Two

No comments:

Post a Comment