Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Love the City

I have intense DC love, and I've only been here...less than three weeks?

When I first started looking at colleges halfway through high school, I envisioned a small liberal arts school in a big city. Unfortunately, those schools come with a large price tag, and I just couldn't justify sacrificing gazillions of dollars in loans when I could get a great education at a state school. Snobs, judge away. I've enjoyed my experiences with football and basketball games, tailgating and being (somewhat) anonymous.

But I absolutely love being here in DC. I've found, at least in the past few weeks, that just reminding myself that I'm in the city makes me automatically happy. Rough day at work? No worries, I'm in DC and not back home. Stupid drama got me down? It's all minor.

I guess the thing is that I've been planning on being here for almost a year and a half, and so to finally live out what I've dreamed of is fantastic. All summer, working four jobs, I just thought about how everything would be okay when I came to DC. And you know what? It really is. I know at some point I'll really miss my home, my family, my friends. At some point, there might be too much stress or too much drama and I can't just tune it out. But for now, a gimme a cup o'joe, a view of the skyline and we'll call it good.

So what's the lesson? I like big cities? I knew I belonged in a city from the start? Let's be a bit less grandiose: just being in DC makes me happy. Oh, and working for your dreams is totally worth it.

Lots of City love,
Thing Two (aka the main poster)

No comments:

Post a Comment